Monday, October 8, 2012

curls B gone: my straightening method

One of the "myths" I believed about going natural was that once I started my natural journey I would never be able to straighten my hair again. I thought that if I straightened my hair it would ruin the curl pattern and I wouldn't be able to shift between curly and straight at will. I'm so glad I was wrong about that.
The fact is, yes you can damage your curl pattern by applying too much heat to your hair. To prevent this, I never use a blow dryer, use plenty of heat protectant, and use a ceramic flat iron, that distributes heat evenly and allows me to set the temperature.

So here's my process. . .I began with hair that really needed to be washed

Parting my hair into four sections, I finger detangled my hair with Cantu's leave in conditioner.

After detangling, I twist each section

Then I shampooed and conditioned my hair.

I used a really light amount of Shea Moisture's Curl Milk to hydrate my hair. Normally I'd use Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie, but the Curl Milk is lighter than the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, and I didn't want to weigh my hair down or enhance my curls since I was preparing to straighten them, so that's why I used the Curl Milk instead.

 
For the next step I again start by parting my hair into four large sections, and working one section at a time I coated each section with Beautiful Textures Curly to Straight Flat Iron Silkener, and IC's Heat Protector Straightening Serum. Then I put each section into four or five small braids.
To reduce the amount of direct heat, I don't use a blow dryer on my hair. The braids help stretch my hair, and I allow them to air dry overnight.

The next day. . .
Unbraiding one braid at a time and parting it into smaller sections I use a ceramic flat iron to straighten my hair. Hair burns at 451 degrees, I usually set my temperature to about 400 degrees.

Adding makeup, and bumping my ends with the flat iron and then. . . I'm done!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...