Tuesday, January 29, 2013

4 tips for maintaining braids

I wore braids for seven months as a long term transitioning style. It was a perfect hairstyle for me because I have 'hand in hair' syndrome (I love touching/styling my hair). Giving your hair a break from the manipulation of styling is helpful when trying to grow it out. But its not enough to just throw your hair in braids and forget about them. Braids need a little maintenance too, here are a few tips that will help.

  1. Water. Spray your hair with water before bed 2 or 3 days a week. At first I was doing it daily, and it gave my hair a moldy, mildew-y smell. You want to make sure your hair is hydrated, but don't go overboard with the water.
  2. Oil. When your scalp is dry, it itches. The quick fix is not to scratch, but to oil your scalp. You can purchase oil in a bottle with a nozzle tip or put your favorite oil in a nozzle tip bottle, which makes it quick and easy to apply without making a mess.
  3. Cleansing. Since I was only adding water and oil to my hair, there wasn't much product build up, so you don't have to wash your hair as often while in braids. I washed once a month with a clarifying shampoo.
  4. Scarf. Just like when your hair is loose, you want to tie a satin scarf around her braids before bed. Not only will it help avoid loosing moisture from your hair, but it will preserve your hairstyle and reduce frizz!

The most important thing to remember if you're wearing braids as a protective style is not to forget about your hair beneath the braids.

What's your favorite long term protective style?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...