Thursday, May 2, 2013

Hair Repair: Moisturizing Dry Curls

Once I developed a consistent hair regimen, dryness with my natural hair was not a problem for me, it was something I'd figured out how to control more than a year ago. So I was shocked earlier this month at the dry matted state my hair was in. I had to take a close look at what changed. There were a few things that stood out immediately, the weather was changing as we transitioned into spring, my schedule is busier and I don't have as much time as I used to have for my hair, and there is a change in the products I use.
Being a natural hair blogger, I've been trying to expose myself to a lot more products lately so that I can let you all know how well they work. However if your're not a beauty blogger by best advice: once you find a product/brand your hair loves, stick with it!

On Monday night (after once again missing my usual Saturday wash day) my hair had enough. It was dry, matted, and my scalp was itching terribly. I decided to do a pre-poo treatment before I washed my hair, and I went back to my trusted staple products to revive my curls: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (I was running low on it, so I decided to stretch it with the Shea Moisture Extra Moisture Detangler). I applied it to my hair and the put on a plastic cap and let it sit on my hair while I exercised for a half an hour. Then I washed and conditioned my hair as usual.
The next morning I moisturized my hair with the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing smoothie and sealed with Raw Shea butter and olive oil. My hair felt SO MUCH BETTER!

So this is what I learned. . .


  • Be mindful of changes in weather and regimen
  • Be consistent with your wash day to avoid product build up
  • Pre-poo or Deep Condition at least once a month
  • Once you find your staple products, stock up and stick with them!
What products keep your hair moisturized, soft and manageable?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...